Thursday, February 21, 2008

FreeBSD

I had been promising for about 18 months to have a look at FreeBSD but have never really got around to it.
I did recently install a text-based version of FreeBSD as a VM in VMware Server but this was very uninspiring and even boring.
So, the only way I was ever going to get into FreeBSD was to get a GUI version.
Then I downloaded the three CDs of FreeBSD 6.3. Amazingly there is no DVD iso available although I've seen some posts showing how any number of CD isos can be combined to make one DVD iso. However, I didn't try these.
So, then I started creating my VM. I have to say, however, that this is a real PITA because I have to keep changing the disks every minute or wo during the package installation part of the process.
I'm not sure how much longer I will have to do this bu the install has been going on for more than two hoursup to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment