Friday, February 22, 2008

Opera becoming very troublesome

On the Mac I've been using Opera 9.50 Beta (Bld 1800) and it's not been behaving well.
In particular, it crashes every time I open Gmail or some other pages too.
I saw in the forums that all versions of Opera 9.50 since Bld 1772 have a problem with plugins which makes it crash.
In any event it got so bad, that I decided to go back to a stable version, so I removed/purged Opera 9.50

sudo apt-get remove --purge opera

and installed the 9.26 version from a Deb.
Installation was fine, but when I tried to open Opera, the CPU sage went to 50% (presumably one processor running flat out) but never actually opened (although ps-e said opera was running.
OK, so I purged this one too and tried the same with 9.25 from the Ubuntu repos.
Same thing, big CPU usge but wouldn't open.
When I start Opera from a terminal it gives this error message
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)

So, right now I don't have a working Opera in Ubuntu on the Mac. I've posted to the opera forum about it and almost certainly I'll hear something there.

23/02/08: Just afetr I send the post to the opera forums about this problem (which actually never got answered) I noticed that a new build of Opera 9.50 Beta was available (Bld 1823).
So, as I was now in a situation where I had no Opera whatsoever, I decided to install this.
And, amazingly, this has worked perfectly (no crashes) since then.
So, perhaps, all's well that ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment