Sunday, June 08, 2008

Adobe Air in Ubuntu

I installed Adobe Air (alpha) for Linux in Ubuntu (Dell) today.
Incidentally, the install instruction given are not quite complete. To get the downloaded .bin file to install you need to run

sudo ./adobeair_linux_a1_033108.bin

rather than just clicking on the icon (this, of course, is after making the file executable).
Downloaded Screenboard to run in Adobe Air. This lets you draw directly on your desktop and is reasonably convenient.
Strangely, Adobe Air for Linux wouldn't install on Foresight (MacBook) saying that perhaps "my administrator did not allow the install".
Not sure what that's about.

Edit (8-06-08):
I found this possible solution to the problem I had installing Adobe Air in Foresight (arch i686) although I haven't tried it yet.
This is what it says:
AIR is currently only supported on i386 platforms only.

A temporary solution is to set your architecture as the default one in the AIR's spec files.

This is how it can be done:

Edit the following files in the AIR's setup folder ( i.e. /tmp/air.XXXXXX folder ):
build/opt/Adobe AIR/Versions/1.0/control/control
and
build/opt/Adobe AIR/Versions/1.0/appinstall/control

And change the architecture field from i386 to your architecture in the following line in the above mentioned file:
Architecture: i386

i.e. Change the above line to:
Architecture: abcd (whatever the architecture is e.g. i686)

in both the files.

You should do this before pressing the "I Agree" button on the EULA screen.


Edit (8-06-08)
Well, I tried the above fix but it didn't do anything for me. Note that I tried with architectures i486, i586 and i686 in the /tmp/...../appinstall/control and /tmp/........./control/control fies but nothing better resulted.
Note that PackageKit (which is Foresight's equivalent of dpkg, is claimed to be platform independent. It's for that reason that I used all of these numbers.
To make the changes to these files you need to:
1) Start the install. When it asks you to 'Agree' or not, use this time to look into /tmp/....... as explained above.
2) You need to be root to get into some of the directories
3) Modify and save the files and now Press 'I agree'.
The install will proceed, but (in my case anyway) will fail again for the same reason

No comments:

Post a Comment