Sunday, September 14, 2008

Messed up Sudo in OS X

It seems that when I installed MacPorts on Friday, I had, through a cut&paste error, actually also installed the MacPort sudo.
When I tried to use sudo in a terminal after this, I go this error:

sudo: can't stat /opt/local/etc/sudoers: No such file or directory

More detail is available in this post I made to MacRumors.
However, because of a combination of inexperience and impatience, I went ahead and uninstalled MacPorts rather than just the MacPorts sudo itself.
This latter could be achieved with this very short guide.
The reason for using /usr/bin/sudo rather than the usual sudo was that because of the error I mentioned in the post.
The eventual solution was to use a dv switch in the uninstall command
$ /usr/bin/sudo port -dv uninstall sudo

However, I have to confess that I don't fully understand why it worked but here's the reference I got the idea from.

No comments:

Post a Comment