Sunday, October 05, 2008

Intrepid Ibex

I had tried the Alpha 3 version of this on my MacBook about 6 weeks ago but it proved very temperamental. So, I decided to wait for the Beta before trying again.
So, that opportunity came yesterday and I installed it today.
The very same install problem occurred as with the alpha version. To overcome these, there are four steps:
1. Install from a terminal in the LiveCD with

sudo ubiquity --no-migration-assistant

2. After the install, use Gparted to remove any unnecessary boot flags (In my case, I had boot flags on partition 1 and partition 3 ). When I removed this latter, all the other partitions became readable.
3. Use the LiveCD to re-install the Ubuntu Grub to the MBR
4. Boot to Mac OS X and use the EFI partition tool to sync the GPT and MBR tables.

I noticed two annoyances during the first few minutes of use. The first was that there is no longer a Network section in System>>Administration to allow setting the DNS servers. However, this is easily overcome by editing the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file.
However, the second I couldn't resolve. This is that, although Yakuake installs fine from Synaptic, the default F12 open/retract key doesn't work as F12 still behaves as if it were a context menu key. Also, I was unable to change this key to some other F key from the yakauke shortcuts menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment