Thursday, April 30, 2009

Moblin 2 -- what do I think?

Well, it boots fast (15 s, although the previous version booted on my EeePC in 8 s).
Another good point is that it boots fast.............wait, I already said that. Well, the fact is there's really not a whole lot else to say.
I installed Opera 10 and this works fine. I tried to install Skype 2.0.0.14 but, although I tried a few versions (Fedora, Mandriva and the Dynamic tar.bz2), only the Dynamic version installed, but didn't run and gave this error:

skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There's quite a bit in the Skype forum about this error, but, from what I saw, no solution. It is mentioned however, that Skype is developing a version of VoIP for Moblin and MIDs but no sign of it yet.
YouTube videos work fine with sound, which is more than I can say for Jaunty Jackalope on this machine.
However, I couldn't get either .mp3 or .wma files to play and got these errors:
.wma: The playback of this movie requires a Advanced Streaming Format (ASF) demuxer plugin which is not installed

.mp3: The playback of this movie requires a MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder plugin which is not installed.

The missing codecs don't seem to be available in the repos, so looks like playing music, other than on YouTube, is out of the question for the moment.
Nevertheless, as I mentioned yesterday, wifi now works (rt2860) on this machine which is nice. However, as with the previous version, there seems to be no configuration possibilities for the network connection. As I must use the OpenDNS servers to avoid a too-slow Internet, I was forced to create an immutable /etc/resolv.conf
Another network problem is that the wifi doesn't automatically connect at startup so the first thing I need to do is to click the connman applet and click on the only network option available. Surely, this must be very easy to avoid.
I also found that the wifi connection seems, at times, to be unstable and easily disconnects. However, no readily obvious way to re-connect is provided. However, you can achieve this by just typing
/usr/sbin/connmand

All-in-all, it's not bad but a long way from being ready for prime time. But, that's what you get with alpha versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment