Sunday, June 14, 2009

FTP for home network.

This is really nice and it's particularly suitable for me as I have three computers on my desk, all of which can run Ubuntu Jaunty.
I got this from this guide and, as the guy says, it's really easy to set up.
Here's what I did:
On the MacBook:

1. sudo apt-get install vsftpd
2. sudo gedit /etc/vsftpd.conf
3. Modify this file as follows:
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
chroot_local_user=YES
anonymous_enable=NO

(uncomment the first three and change the last from YES to NO)
4. sudo /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart
5. sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon avahi-discover avahi-utils libnss-mdns service-discovery-applet mdns-scan
6. sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart

On the Dell and the EeePC 901 just do steps 1-4.
Now, make sure you know the internal IP of the two computers from which you want to share stuff on the Mac.
Then go to Places>>Connect to Server..
In the Server box, select FTP (with login).
Now in the new Server box, add the IP for the computer you want to connect to as well as the Username you use on that computer.
Next you'll be asked for the password for that account on the remote computer.
Now the /home folder will open on the computer you're using (Mac in my case).
I was able to open two remote /home folders and even move stuff from one remote /home to the other remote.
Very convenient if you work with multiple computers.
The original guide provides information of using sharing with OS X and with Windows but I haven't tried these myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment