Sunday, July 19, 2009

Foresight Linux on MacBook

I used to have Foresight installed on my Mac in a multiboot system I had at the time. Then my HD failed and it's only now I'm getting around to putting some of my favourite OSes back on the Mac.
OS X (Leopard is already there) as is Ubuntu 9.04. rEFIt does the multibooting of OS X and Linux and then Grub takes over once you choose the Penguin (for Linux) in the rEFIt menu.
So, I started with the DVD of the iso for Foresight 2.1.1 and install seemed to be going fine. However, just at the very end I get an error message as follows (note that this is transcribed as no facility to copy is provided):

Exception occurred
anaconda 11.3.0.44 exception report
Traceback (most recent call first)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/tarinstall.py" line 146, in
doPostInstall
assert hasGrub
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/backend.py"
line 203 in doPostInstall
anaconda.backend.dopostinstall (anaconda)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py
line 206 in moveStep
rc=stepFunc (self.anaconda)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py"
line 129 in gotoNext
self.moveStep
.............

I have to admit I have no idea what this means although I know that anaconda is the installer that Foresight uses.
In any event, I tried to boot to Foresight through Grub but this failed.
I then used Gparted to have a look at the / partition I has set aside for Foresight (I used a /home also making sure that the / was within the first for partitions). It had a size of 3.2 GB but this was completely full with the majority being in /usr (2.4 GB).
Now what's more strange is that I then tried an old DVD I had of the iso for Foresight 2.0.4 which I had already used about a year ago to successfully install Foresight on the Mac. This time however, I got exactly the same anaconda error I got with the later version.
This is difficult to explain. One possibility is that the installed Foresight requires a root partition of more than the 3.2 GB I had assigned although this seems unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment