Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Easy on Linux; weird on Mac

Actually, this title is misleading.......but it got you reading!!
Even though I've owned a Mac for two and a half years, I've never really familiarized myself with OS X (starting with Tiger, the Leopard and now Snow Leopard). The reason for this apparent lethargy is that I've essentially used my Mac to multiboot OS X with various Linux distros to which I dedicated most, if not all, of my time.
Now on my new MacBook 10,6 I'm just running Snow Leopard -- nothing else installed on this box. So, I'm going to force myself to become OS X-proficient.
As a result, I really am becoming extremely impressed with this machine. The fact that it's not Windows, and has a strong link to Linux because of the Unix basis for both, probably helps.
Nevertheless, some things take some getting used to. For example, renaming files or folders in OS X is not as obvious as it is in Linux. So, right-clicking a file/folder doesn't give a "rename" option in the context menu.
However, clicking on any file/folder in Finder and holding down the (left-) click button for about a second makes the icon title editable. Piece of cake, really, once you know what to do.
Actually, I also tried the mv command in a terminal to change a files name and this seemed to work fine on both files and folders.
A handy command not available in Linux context menus is "Compress" which allows you to zip a folder into a zip file. Really useful.
Just one final thing in this rambling mish-mash of a post, I installed Gimp for Snow Leopard today. Here's the link.
If you didn't get much out of this meagre post, check through this list of Snow Leopard tips and tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment