Monday, November 15, 2010

Still trying to install FreeBSD 8.1 to Dell E520

Well, if you've been following my complete lack of success in this endeavour up to now, you'll know that trying this on a multiboot system with Windows XP installed on a logical partition was fraught with problems, notable with the XP logical partition becoming unbootable.
OK, so I dumped one of my Windows OSes, thus freeing up the primary partition I needed to install FreeBSD, while leaving Windows XP on the other (the other two primaries had the Windows Boot partition and an extended partition where I have Ubuntu and Haiku).
I installed FreeBSD 8.1 from a DVD and everything seemed to go well. After the install, Windows XP was fully bootable but, unfortunately, FreeBSD was not.
I tried to boot it from Grub2 using

menuentry "FreeBSD 8.1" {
setroot '(hd0,msdos3)'
chainloader +1
}


in /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then update-grub.
However, when I tried to boot FreeBSD, it was unable to load the kernel.
I tried the install both with and without a Boot Manager, but no difference.
I also tried the install with FreeBSD 8.0 but this behaved exactly the same.
A further attempt I made was with Haiku's Bootman boot manager but once again, I got precisely the same error.
More tomorrow....................

No comments:

Post a Comment