Thursday, February 03, 2011

Another Haiku nightly install

Just installed Haiku r40342 gcc2hybrid onto the Dell E520.
Although I've only been using it for an hour or so, I've noticed that now my two Ubuntu (Ext4) partitions are now recognized by the mount function and are readily mounted.
I also see that WebPositive has a new feature (or is it that I just didn't notice it before?) where you can middle click on the tab bar to open a new tab -- that's nice.
However, the bookmark arrangement is still very clunky when I compare it with what I use in Opera, Stainless and Midori. If only WebPositive had a special bookmarks bar it would bring this potentially very powerful and fast browser into another dimension.
Now, I must add that I downloaded Haiku in FreeBSD 8.2 and created the bootable USB right there.
I hadn't used a usb key in FreeBSD before and when I plugged it in first and saw no reaction, I thought the key wasn't going to be recognized.
Well, it was recognized but not mounted.
To check your usb devices just run this command (as root)

# camcontrol devlist

which will show you the name it has received.
Mine was da0.
So, to burn the Haiku image to the usb key, I used this command:
dd if=haiku_image of=/dev/dao bs=1M

More details about usb keys in FreeBSD are available here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment