Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Boot splash screen for FreeBSD


I'm starting to get used to FreeBSD but will admit I still have a long way to go.
In truth, this is an OS for real geeks and is not at all aimed at the point-and-click types who just want to send emails, do social media stuff and look at photos of themselves.
Anyway, I came across this howto which explains how to brighten up the endless string of text that appears on boot by inserting a boot splash.
So far, I've only used .bmp images as boot splashes so I've no experience with the .pcx images but can't imagine that'll be too difficult.
Post #16 in this thread provides just a little more information on how to make suitable .pcx images. I used Gimp to convert some .jpg images to .bmp and they worked fine as splashes for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment