Monday, April 11, 2011

Getting 3D effects in ZevenOS 3.0

Ever wondered what the Haiku OS would look like with wobbly windows?
Well, in reality that's probably years away but ZevenOS 3.0, which is based on a BeOS/Haiku theme, can give you a good idea how it'd look.
However, even though ZevenOS is Ubuntu-based, I had a lot of difficulty getting compiz to launch in this OS as installed on the EeePC 901.
I posted to the ZevenOS forum about it and got a useful reply.
In essence, the problem is that the Sawfish window manager used by ZevenOS seems to be notoriously difficult to stop.
Running

killall sawfish && fusion-icon &

and any number of variants, inevitably gave me this "error"
compiz (core) - Error: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

It seems that Sawfish just won't die.
Then, as described in the forum thread, I tried modifying both~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel/xfce4-session.xml and /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc and, using this guide, got a similar result. That is, sawfish is still running after a boot.
Nothing for it but to uninstall sawfish using Synaptic.
Then I ran
killall sawfish && fusion-icon &

again and my windows started wobbling.
Finally, 3D effects in ZevenOS 3.0
The 3D effects appeared again after a reboot but I had three shots at starting them during the boot (fusion-icon in Autostart, Method 2 from the ArchLinux guide and Method 3 from the same source). Tomorrow, I'll take some of these out to see which I really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment