Tuesday, June 21, 2011

New Keyboard installed on EeePC 901

I just couldn't wait.
Although this little machine was working very close to perfectly, I went ahead and installed the new keyboard that I bought off E-bay for €14.
The install was very easy and took less than 5 minutes. Although I initially had great difficulty in getting the keyboard off, I've learned that you don't need to be super-careful as there's very little to break underneath.
Probably the most difficult part for me was getting the end of the ribbon-cable exactly aligned within its connector. As the cable if very short, you really need a strong light and even somebody to help you to get this done.
Once the cable was connected, everything else snapped readily into place.
Then I booted and waited...............
I was concerned about four things:

1. Would it work?
2. Would it boot without going to BIOS first?
3. Would the F2 key work?
4. Would the left shift key allow me to type "F"?

Well, the answer to all questions is YES.
My little netbook is back in pristine condition.

So, I've learned that a dodgy keyboard can cause many problems that might not seem keyboard-related at all. These include BIOS appearing on every boot, inability to boot to either ssd or Ubuntu USB-key, many strange symbols appearing in verbose boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment