Sunday, March 18, 2012

Qupzilla browser in Ubuntu and Windows XP

Having seen how well Qupzilla 1.1.8 works in Haiku (see my post), I decided to try it out in Ubuntu and Windows XP.


For Ubuntu (I installed successfully on both 11.10 and 12.04), just use these commands:


sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nowrep/qupzilla
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qupzilla



and for Windows XP just download and execute the .exe file from here.

For both OSes, Qupzilla 1.1.8 works superbly. Just as fast as it is in Haiku but absolutely no crashing.
In addition, the problems I see in Haiku with Qupzilla failing to remember users and passwords for Google, Gmail, Twitter, Quora and others does NOT happen in either Windows XP or Ubuntu.

Qupzilla has now become my preferred browser in Linux, Haiku and WindowsXP.
But is it really that much better than Chromium?
I believe it is just as fast, if not faster in browsing than Chrome and has the same capability to store favicon-only launchers in the bookmarks bar which, for me, makes an enormous difference to the usability of a browser.

Interestingly, the "Icons only" option available in Haiku bookmarks bar context menu, is not available in either Ubuntu or Windows.
In its absence, it's necessary to delete the favicon name and replace it with a singe Space to get the "icons only" look.

What swings things in favor of Qupzilla over Chrome is the superb RSS reader in Qupzilla.
This was something I really liked about Opera some years ago and have really missed a good rss reader since I moved away from Opera to Chrome.

Qupzilla is not currently available for OS X but is under development. Actually, I've volunteered to help out with the development for the Mac so I'll post on how this goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment