Monday, July 16, 2012

Got a case for my RPi

This is something that I can't completely explain, but in spite of having quite a range of high powered computers to choose from, these days I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time playing with a computer that would have seemed low-powered 10 years ago.

With only 700 MHz CPU (before overclocking) and a truly miserable 256 MB of RAM (when anything less than 4 GB nowadays would draw gasps of incredulity), the Raspberry Pi has an amazing attraction.
Just look at the activity on its forum.

Up to now, its been hanging off the edge of my desk suspended by its ethernet cable. As such it was constantly being buffeted and in danger of serious damage.

So, I got a case. See the photo.
I got it on eBay and it seems that it's no longer available, which is hardly a good sign.

Nevertheless, it's a very good looking case, it's strong and all the holes are in the right places.
The board fits perfectly inside and there's really nothing to complain about.

Including postage, I paid €19 for this case which is just about half what the RPi cost me.

This case seems to be dramatically under-promoted as I just stumbled on it by chance in eBay.
Although the RPi forum has an extensive section on cases, there does not seem to be even one mention of this one.
Very strange as it does everything I expected of it.
I particularly like the transparency as I wanted to see the LEDs as these are useful during the boot.

I will mention that I've also ordered the ModMyPi case which seems to be the most talked about. However, I'm not sure I'll be in a rush to switch when this arrives, probably later this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment