Thursday, January 31, 2008

Progress on Mepis

Made a lot of progress in getting Mepis 7.0 up to shape today. So, I got CompizFusion-Icon up and running using this post #7 here although it was a bit of a gambiarra.
In particular, I had some problems with some of the dependencies mentioned were not available in the Mepis repos.
Nevertheless, it did work fine but only after I made some changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf as outlined here for AIGLX compositor and (as I have very often found in Linux) after a reboot.
Also of importance in getting things to work properly was getting fusion-icon to autostart on boot (see here for howto).
Nevertheless, after I had gotten AWN working, then when I started to rotate the cube, the whole computer would freeze and the only way to unfreeze it was to shut it down completely. I don't know why this is happening but will certainly investigate.

AWN is also working well using this (somewhat half-assed) guide. The two avant-window-navigator tarballs I got from this chinese site . Also, the AWN applets don't show up in the AWN-manager because of missing dependencies, but you can get all of the dependencies here. (see debian-based distros including Ubuntu).

Still have to get wireless working so that's the next big challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment