Monday, March 10, 2008

Access OSX files from Ubuntu on MacBook

I had done this when I got the MacBook first about 6 months ago without any problems.
However, now after re-installing Ubuntu I found that the OSX folders were once again unavailable from Ubuntu and I just couldn't remember immediately how to set this up.
So, after a while I figured it out but thought it best to write something down about this to prevent me forgetting again in the future.

Of course, it is extremely simple. The only thing to remember is that, on my computer here, and probably most MacBooks that are set up for dual or multibooting, the OSX partition is on /dev/sda2 (sda1 is the EFI partition).
So, just include a line like this in your /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda2 media/osx hfsplus defaults 0 0

save the file and then make sure you remember to go into /media and mkdir a folder called osx otherwise the mount will error out.
Then just mount it with
mount /media/osx

and now your osx partition should be available for you to do what you want.
Don't forget as well that you must do a few things on the Mac (osx) side also.
First, disable journaling (disk utility) and then change the permissions on all the directories you want to "read & write" for ALL three options (user, group and others).

No comments:

Post a Comment