Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Serious problem re-installing Ubuntu Gutsy

As a result of removing torrentflux yesterday, I had to re-install Gutsy on the Dell.
Although the install went fine, I rn into trouble with the 196 update packages which weer available immediately.
After rebooting after the installation of the update packages, I couldn't get any better than 800x600 screen resolution.
I ended up re-installing. However, this time I installed all of the update packages apart from Linux-Restricted-Modules-2.6.22-14-generic (which I think was the source of the problem the first time although I'm by no means sure of this).
Without this, all of the other packages installed fine with no problems.
I later got fusion-icon and set up compiz-fusion and AWN and everything worked fine other than the nagging every time i reboot itno Ubuntu that I still have one update package to be installed.

I posted to Ubuntu forums on this where lot more detail is available.

Edit: 20-03-08

A few days ago I summoned up the courage to install the last remaining required update (Linux-Restricted-Modules-2.6.22-14-generic). It installed without problem (although what actually installed was Linux-Restricted-Modules-2.6.22-14-10). Rebooted and everything was fine. However, I have no idea what the problem was the first time but everything is fine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment