Sunday, March 09, 2008

Setting up servers for torrentflux.

I had mentioned this yesterday in my other blog and said I was going to try it.
PolishLinux has a nice guide for this which you can find here (in English -- at least most of it).
Although the howto is for Debian, I did it in Ubuntu 7.10 as my Debian Sid is out of action right now.
A number of 'errors' happened during the install as follows:

1. When I did this command

mysqladmin -u root password yourpasswordhere

I got this error
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Not sure how severe this was but I carried on.

2. Then I did this:
cd /etc/apache2/sites-available/
nano default

although I used gedit rather than nano.
However, the line I was supposed to comment out (#RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/) was already commented out so I left it and carried on.

3. Next
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

and this gave an error which is actually mentioned in the guide as being harmless. But, any error looks fearful when you see it for the first time so I'll show the error message fully here:
* Restarting web server apache2 apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
[ OK ]


4. Next the guide says do this:
wget http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ \
phpmyadmin/phpMyAdmin-2.11.4-all-languages-utf-8-only.tar.gz

but this doesn't work. It should be
wget http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/phpmyadmin/phpMyAdmin-2.11.4-all-languages-utf-8-only.tar.gz


5. Next there's a recursive copy of all files in the new directory to /var/www/phpMyAdmin but I got this error
cp: target `/var/www/phpMyAdmin' is not a directory

The folder phpMyAdmin just wasn't there. So, I did a mkdir to create it. Then the recursive copy command worked fine.

6. Now I found that phpMyAdmin is available at http://127.0.1.1/phpMyAdmin
so that's a step in the right direction.
However, after downloading torrentflux, the next step is to create a database. Here, I failed miserably although it's probably very simple.
But that's where I stopped today.
Likely after a bit of googling around I'll be able to overcome this barrier and get this torrentflux thing going.
If all else fails I can leave a comment/question on the PolishLinux blog.
Incidentally, this guide was written by a 17-year-old Polish girl. Makes me feel very old and even a relic from a bygone era.

No comments:

Post a Comment