Sunday, March 16, 2008

Torrent uploading.

I had for some time been trying to master the art of creating a torrent from a file and then using this to transfer information between computers either within our own network or to outsiders.
Well, I finally managed this.
I got all of my inspiration from these two links:
i) First you have to install μtorrent (also know as utorrent). As this only works in Windows, you need to install Wine.
Well, I've never used Wine before and didn't think I would ever need to, but now I am. However, this was primarily because the most clear tutorial on how to seed your own torrents was for μtorrent. With this knowledge I may be able to investigate how to to this in other bittorrent clients
ii) The second link is a very nice "video" tutorial on how to upload and seed torrents.

Some observations are of interest here:
1. μtorrent requires you to specify both your external IP and the port you want to use for the seeding. Now these may change so you must check your IP before you start and then do the built-in test on the viability of the chosen port.
2. Make sure you're seeding before downloading the torrent (I just emailed them over, but could also use IM or cl1p.net) on the other computer as doesn't seem to be possible for download to start if seeding is started later.
3. I had initially chosen an upload rate of 22 kB/s and found that the actual upload rate stuck very close to this.
So, the next time, I tried it at 30 kB/s and, once again the rate averaged out at almso exactly 30 kB/s. What's strange here is that the "design" upload rate is something arond 25 kB/s so I'm amazed that you can get even higher. I might later try to see just how high you can really go.
4. There's a problem starting to occurr frequently with torrent downloads and I saw it with this technique too. This where, the download reaches something like 99.9% of total and then the rate goes to zero. I have often just stopped the transfer and resumed it where, after checking the files, it came back at 100% like it had underestimated how much had actually been transferred.
This time, one file (14 MB) only went as far as 99.8% and wouldn't go any further despite many stop-resume attempts. So, then I listened to it (was a podcast) and it seemed fine, like it really had completely transferred but was incorrectly counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment