Saturday, March 15, 2008

Torrentflux in Ubuntu on MacBook

I had mentioned before about this guide for the above (but referring only to Ubuntu)
So, I had a go on the MacBook and eventually it seems to have worked.
Two strange things happened, for neither of which do I have an explanation but I do have a solution:
1. At the very end of Step 1, we're asked to do this in a terminal

mysqladmin -uroot password 'new-password'

but I always got this error
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

However, if you instead type
mysqladmin -uroot -p password 'new-password'

the "-p" prompts for a password and then accepts the new password you want to use.
2. In step 4d, I had been getting a similar error
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'paul'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /var/www/torrentflux/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 355

TorrentFlux Database/SQL Error

Database error: Access denied for user 'paul'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Always check your database variables in the config.php file.

when I was installing torrentflux as written in steps 3 and 4a.
However, when I changed to installing torrentflux (v 2.3 whereas the earlier one was 2.1) from Synaptic, the error went and I could now get into torrentflux without problem (however only as root).

3. Others features of the install were:
i) I didn't do anything in steps 5 and 6 as yet
ii) To get port 80 open. I had to setup the custom devise as mentioned and put the router firewall setting at Low (from Medium)
iii) I opened ports 45000-46000 by just setting up another custom device.
iv) After all that, I still can't get it to work. When I choose a torrent, it always says there was an error with this torrent which appears a dead url.
I see a lot of references to this in the torrentflux forums but no solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment