Monday, May 19, 2008

Scanner now works in Foresight as user; but still not perfect

I used the permission changing suggested in this guide to get xsane to see my Epson Perfection 1260 scanner when opened as user.
First, you need to run "sane-find-scanner" (as user is fine). This is what I got:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x046d, product=0x0850) at libusb:005:002
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011d [EPSON Scanner], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:003:002

Actually, only the second one's a real scanner.
So, then I ran
chmod a+rw /dev/bus/usb/003/002

given that my scanner is at libusb:003:002
Thereafter, the scanner is found by scanimage -L run as user (before it was only detected as root).
Also, xsane (still have to run from terminal) works just fine.
Apparently, however, I will need to run the chmod command after every reboot or restart of the scanner as I still can't find how to make this change permanent (but I'm still looking).
Perhaps, I could write a small bash script to change the permission AND start xsane which would be nice. I'll do that if I can't get any further by the traditional route.

No comments:

Post a Comment