Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fedora 9 on MacBook

Well, today I got F9 more or less up and running on the Mac.
There were some problems which I'll list here below:
1. The .iso is big (3.4 GB) so, if you share a router, you'll get complaints.
2. No problems with download, burn or install but configuration other than the Ubuntu Grub on the mbr got wiped even though I installed Fedoras bootloader (also Grub) to its root partition.
To get the Ubuntu Grub back on the mbr (and the penguin to show up again in rEFIt) I used a Ubuntu Live CD and ran the following terminal commands (as ROOT):
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
Here I got a list of devices like (hd0,1), (hd0,8) etc. I picked (hd0,8) as I knew this was the Ubuntu root partition (on /dev/sda9) and then ran
grub> root (hd0,8)
and then
grub> setup (hd0)
This gave me a success message. Now the penguin was back in rEFIt and booting from the Ubuntu menu.lst was perfect.
3. The Fedora root was installed in /dev/sdb15 on the Seagate usb HDD. However, using root-/dev/sdb15 in the kernel line of menu.lst didn't boot. I had to change this to /dev/sda15 and then everything booted fine.
4.Fedora booted up with the Gnome desktop which is not what I wanted. So, I tried to install all the KDE stuff in Add/Remove Software. However got an error

The group was not found
comps categories could not be found

The solution which I found in Fedora Forums was to run
# yum grouplist

However, still couldn't get KDE4 to show up
5. To get KDE4 need the following
Make a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop containing the following two lines:
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

and then
#yum search switchdesk
after which I got a choice of session to run at startup.
Details are here.
6. KDE4 does look different indeed. However, this version in F9 just is not ready for serious work. So many things just don't work.
In particular, the kicker disappears after the first reboot. You can get it back by deleting ~/.kde. However, doing this takes away any widgets you put on the desktop.
Another problem is that I couldn't get a network connection at all.
7. No choice but to go back to Gnome.
Even here getting the network connection took a little fiddling around with the configuration but it always comes.
An annoyance here is that I can't find how to get the DNS server choices to remain permanently. Doesn't seem to be any /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf although there are some similar files that I'll have to look at.
SeLinux seemed to be interfering with the network connection so I disabled it as described here.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment