Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fixed problems with Login of (k)checkgmail

As I mentioned a few days ago, the upgrade described here is said to eliminate the problem checkgmail developed lately of refusing to log into Gmail.
Well, I tried it in Ubuntu II and it works perfectly -- very quick, too; don't need more than 2 minutes to get the whole thing done.
However, I had basically the same problem with kcheckgmail that I was using in KuruminNG (with KDE 4.1). This was a little less easy to rectify in that it took a lot longer but basically just amounted to upgrading the app to kcheckgmail 5.7.5
To do this, however, you've got to compile from source.
I downloaded from here and then ./configure'd.
Ran into some dependency problems here of which the principal missing ones were: xorg-dev, kdebase-dev, libqt3-headers and libqt3-mt-dev.
Once I got these installed from the KuruminNG repos, the source configured fine. Then, make and sudo make install completed without error.
After that it was just a matter of substituting the new kcheckgmail binary for the one in /usr/bin.

I'll just mention here a useful tip to use if you run into one of these "change the prefix" problems during a compile. The error referred to kde-headers being in a different prefix. To resolve, it was suggested to find the path to the header using

sudo find / -name "kapplication.h"

to find the path and then using this command to do the configure
./configure --prefix=/path/to/headers

No comments:

Post a Comment