Saturday, July 05, 2008

Foresight update and nVidia driver re-install problem

I mentioned that I couldn't update Foresight on the Dell. So, I resorted the action that helped me overcome a similar problem on the MacBook a few weeks ago i.e. re-install (without touching /home) using the latest 2.0.2 DVD.
This worked fine and I was finally able to get Foresight up to date again on the desktop.
However, I ran into a problem in getting things back the way they were.
This involved the nVidia accelerated driver (96.43.05) for my nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 card. It just wouldn't build and no good reason could be found.
Then I discovered through Google that a lot of these nVidia drivers don't build when used with a 2.6.25 kernel.
But a patch is available here.
When the patch was applied, the build worked fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment