Saturday, July 26, 2008

IPv6 tunnelling on Foresight Linux

As I managed to get IPv6 tunnelling working in Ubuntu Hardy yesterday on the Mac, I decided to try it also on Foresight on the same machine.
However, tspc isn't available in the Foresight repos, so I downloaded tspc_2.1.1-6.1_i386.deb from here. Then I converted it to a .tgz file using

alien -t tspc_2.1.1-6.1_i386.deb

in Ubuntu and spc'ed it back to Foresight.
So, then just
tar -zxvf tspc_2.1.1-6.1.tgz
cd tspc2
sudo make all target=linux

Now you have to install it using
sudo make install target=linux install_dir=/usr/local/tsp

(or whatever the default install directory suggested is).
Now change the username, password and server (this last must be broker.freenet6.net) in /usr/local/tsp/bin/tspc.conf
At this stage I got a bit confused because the tspc.conf file was in a very different location than in Ubuntu. So, I symlinked it as follows:
ln -s /usr/local/tsp/bin/tspc.conf /etc/tsp/tspc.conf

Also, I symlinked tspc as follows
ln -s /usr/local/tsp/bin/tspc /etc/init.d/tspc

So now to start tunnelling, run these commands
cd /usr/local/tsp/bin
sudo /etc/init.d/tspc start

when you should get this output to indicate all is well and tspc is running
tspc - Tunnel Setup Protocol Client v2.1.1
Initializing (use -h for help)


Connecting to server with reliable udp
Got tunnel parameters from server, setting up local tunnel
Going daemon, check tspc.log for tunnel creation status

At this point you can put ipv6.google.com in your browser address bar and then use google to start browsing through ipv6.
While this certainly works, it seems just a little slow. Plus, at times, it seems that it gives up on IPv6 and switched back to IPv4. Don't fully understand what's going on here but I'll investigate more.

However, a problem I had was in using ping6. I installed iputils=20020927-12-0.1 from conary and then ping6 was available in /bin (along with ping).
However, I couldn't get it to work.
When I tried
ping6 ipv6.google.com

I get this error
can't receive hop limit: Protocol not available

I posted to both LinuxQuestions and go6 forums on this but have yet to receive any replies which generally means it's not a common problem or it's something specific to my computer.

Incidentally, here are some very good tutorials on IPv6 (and some IPv4 which you'll need in order to follow the ipv6 stuff); this, this and this one too.
There's also lots of good info in the go6 wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment