Tuesday, July 01, 2008

openSUSE 11.0 starting to look good.

As is normal, after a few days of going through alternating bouts of despair and elation, what I'm working on starts to look at things my way.
Unfortunately, it's not always clear to me what caused the transformation in fortunes as is the situation here.
In any event, I've found out that
i) there doesn't seem to be any way to get the Lizard icon back to the panel. So, I had to re-install yet again
ii) Autostart in KDE4 is in ~/.kde4/ rather than ~/.kde/ which is where I created it yesterday.

The re-installed openSUSE 11.0 with KDE4 works better than before in that the Alt key functions as it should. That is Alt-F2 opens a run box, Ctl-Alt-Backspace (hit twice) restarts X and rotates the cube.
Strangely though, the Alt key gives the same Serial and keycode (33/64) that it did yesterday. So, I don't know what's changed as I didn't change the keyboard designation although I am using a IE keyboard layout.

Also, I upgraded my KDE from 0.4 to 1 by following the instructions here. This went smoothly although I'm not sure I've seen any huge difference so far although some of the panel and desktop icons changed.

A problem I'm having now is that Amarok after installing the codecs (see here) still won't play .wma files although VLC does. I've posted to the forum on this so I'll see if anybody helps me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment