Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sound in Foresight on Dell

For a long time, I have not been able to play music on Foresight (Dell) apparently because the sound card (Creative SoundBlaster emu10k1x) wasn't recognised.
Then I came across this which explained how to manually install the snd-emu1k1x module. The alsa files needed for this compile and install you can get from here.
I got an error with this command

chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi

I think because I don't have midi or sequencer stuff. Similarly, this command
modprobe snd-emu10k1x ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss ; modprobe snd-seq-oss

gave a FATAL error for the snd-seq-oss part.
Nevertheless, after a reboot, my card now showed up in "Open Volume Control">File whereas before only Camera was available.
Now, I can play music in Banshee, without any problem.
It seems this may have arisen because of various kernel upgrades which, for some reason, did not include the emu10k1x module.

No comments:

Post a Comment