Friday, August 08, 2008

Further attempts to install NXserver in Foresight Linux

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I failed to install NXserver on Foresight using the method outlined in the nomachine documentation
So, I had a look at the more detailed instructions here. In particular, the prerequisites (1.2) are important. These libraries are mentioned as being required for the nxnode install:

- libXpm.so.4
- libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.3)
- libnsl.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)

I managed to find all of them in various rpms in PBone. All three were included in a relatively large bunch of files. I downloaded each package as an rpm in openSUSE 11, then I used alien
sudo alien -t file.rpm

to convert each file to a .tgz file.
I used cl1p.net to send each over to Foresight Linux.
To install, I just moved each of them to the root directory (/) and untarred (tar -zxvf file.tgz) and that was it.
Now, I was ready for the install. So, here's what I did:

1. cd /usr
2. sudo rm -rf NX #to remove all old installations
3. Install the nxclient
cd /usr
sudo tar zxvf nxclient-3.2.0-14.i386.tar.gz

4.Install nxnode
sudo tar zxvf nxnode-3.2.0-11.i386.tar.gz
sudo /usr/NX/scripts/setup/nxnode –-install debian

From what I remember this installed fine (although I have a vague recollection of some minor error or warning)
5. Install the nxserver
sudo tar zxvf nxserver-3.2.0-13.i386.tar.gz
sudo /usr/NX/scripts/setup/nxserver –-install debian

(note that this last command taken from section 2.8 of the detailed server installation instructions has an error and won't work. The "–-install" must be replaced by "--install". So the correct command line is
sudo /usr/NX/scripts/setup/nxserver --install debian

This seemed to "more or less" install, but gave quite a few warnings, the nature of which I again forget.
Note, however, that I plan to start all over again with this tomorrow and these notes are just meant to be a guide to me for tomorrows attempt.
6. First thing I saw was the /usr/NX/etc had no server.cfg file so I created it from server-debian.cfg. In server.cfg I then made the required changes:
#EnableUserDB = "0" to EnableUserDB = "1" (don't forget to uncomment
EnablePasswordDB = "0" to EnablePasswordDB = "1" (should be already uncommented)


** However, having said that I just noticed in looking at /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg that it seems to have completely changed and no longer contains the lines
EnableUserDB = "1
EnablePasswordDB = "1"
or anything remotely similar. This is strange but could be part of my problem.
7. Now to add myself as a user
sudo /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --useradd paul --administrator

However, this gave a warning (typically something like:
NX> 595 ERROR: Detected an inconsistency in the NX server configuration.

and a series of subsequent warnings all of which turned out to be due to lack of appropriate files in /usr/NX/etc/
So, I tried to get over these errorby manually producing the missing files, like, for example:
sudo cp administrators.db.sample administrators.db
sudo cp guests.db.sample guests.db

However, I was also missing the lock files of the type
users.db.lock
Strangely, I couldn't upload these to cl1p.net (no idea why) although they seemed to be just empty files (in openSUSE 11 where NXserver works fine).
So, I tar compressed a folder with the 5 files I needed from openSUSE and uploaded this to cl1p.net and opened it in Foresight. Then I uncompressed and put all the files in /usr/NX/etc/
8. Once again I tried to run
sudo /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --useradd paul --administrator

and this time it progressed fairly well but still got warnings:
NX> 900 Setting password for user: paul.
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 102 Confirm password:
NX> 110 Password for user: paul added to the NX password DB.
NX> 900 Checking user: paul with the NX password DB enabled
NX> 306 Administrator: paul added in the NX administrator DB
NX> 900 Adding public key for user: paul to the authorized keys file.
NX> 910 WARNING: The SSH key to be used for user authentication could
NX> 910 WARNING: not be added to the private authorized keys file of user.
NX> 910 WARNING: Please note that, with these settings, the user won't be
NX> 910 WARNING: able to successfully run any sessions.
NX> 910 WARNING: Run the following command to get some hints on the possible
NX> 910 WARNING: reasons of the problem:
NX> 910 WARNING:
NX> 910 WARNING: nxserver --usercheck paul
NX> 910 WARNING:
NX> 999 Bye.

9. When I did the usercheck suggested I got
$ sudo ./nxserver --usercheck paul
NX> 910 Account for user: paul is disabled
NX> 999 Bye.

10. At this stage I should have enabled my user using
sudo /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --userenable paul

but I didn't do this till later.
11. Despite many attempts to vercome this key problem , including changing the default keys according tomthis nomachine document, I failed completely and made no further progress.

Nevertheless, it looks now as if getting nxserver to work in Foresight is more of a possibility than it was yesterday. I should mention here that I had not at all paid any attention to the extensive list of required libraries for the installation of nxclient. Perhaps the fact that one or two of these might have been missing caused my nxserver problems. Worth a look.

Just for completeness, here's an interesting (although a bit old) look at NXserver.

No comments:

Post a Comment