Saturday, August 02, 2008

openSUSE 11.0 -- reinstalled to eliminate "non-existent" problem

I had upgraded to openSUSE 11.0 about a month ago and it worked fine. The only problem, as I saw it, was that it launched straight into the Desktop without asking for a password. If after getting to the Desktop I now ctr-alt-backspaced I get the login screen where I can enter my password.
So, I tried to fix this with the openSUSE 11.0 install DVD. First I tried to "repair an installed system". Actually, this did nothing for me at all.
So, I decided to re-install while still preserving my /home. However, I found out during the install that "Automatic Login" is an option that is available. So, this is the explanation for why I wasn't getting asked for a password. I refused to select that option this time, though.
When I got to ther Desktop, I installed all of the available updates. Then I rebooted (after also updating the openSUSE entry in Ubuntu's /boot/grub/menu.lst). However, just after I logged in, I got this message:

Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation.

I looked in various places but eventually found this blogpost in Spanish that exactly solved my problem.
This involved just logging into iceWM session and typing this command
zypper up -t package

in a terminal (it also asked for the install DVD to be loaded) and letting it do it's thing.
After that I rebooted and all was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment