Friday, August 01, 2008

Some experimentation with NXserver.

Yesterday I got NXserver working in Kurumin-dell and was able to communicate with nxclient in Ubuntu-mac.
So today I tried to see if any further OSes could be involved in NX.
First I tried to install nxclient in Foresight-Mac. This is not available in the Foresight repos but is readily available here.
I downloaded the nxclient.tar.gz file to /usr and untarred it there. That's all that's needed to install -- no compile or anything else.
Now I was able to NX to Kurumin-dell by

/usr/NX/bin/nxclient &

Now the dialog opened which I left basically as it was for Ubuntu (client) to communicate with Kurumin-Dell (server). So, the Key, the host (IP) and port (8888) remained unchanged. And it connected fine.

Next I tried to get Foresight-Mac (client) to talk to Foresight-Dell (server). This meant having to install NXserver in Foresight-Dell. Again, NXserver is not available in the Foresight repos.
Also, I couldn't use the method of yesterday as this involves some deb repos which (AFAIK) Foresight can't handle.
So I used this nomachine site to try to install the NXFree edition for Linux (as tar.gz). This involves installing three packages (nxclient, nxnode and nxserver). As mentioned, NXclient is very easy to install. Also, I once got the NXnode to install (after many tries) using this command
sudo /usr/NX/scripts/setup/nxnode --install debian

However, I was unable to repeat this. Really don't know why it worked just once. Strange.
Using the same type of command for NXserver never got me anywhere -- always failed.
So, can't get NXserver to install in Foresight.

I was, however, able to get NXserver working on Ubuntu-Dell from the same site. Here I just downloaded the debs (client, node and server) and installed them from the terminal using this commands of this type
sudo dpkg -i nxserver_3.2.0-13_i386.deb

And that was basically it.
I did NOT have to add that big line of code to node.conf. Indeed, I couldn't find any node.conf at all in Ubuntu after installation of the server.
On the client side, however, I needed to import the dsa-key from
/usr/NX/share/keys/default.id_dsa.key

on the server. In addition, I moved the port back from 8888 to 22.
When I logged in on the client, I got a message saying couldn't "start kde". Very strange since I don't have kde on the Ubuntu server. But it turns out that you must specify the Desktop Manager in the dialog before you launch nxclient.
After changing this to Gnome, it launched fine and everything seemed perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment