Monday, September 08, 2008

Problems installing VMware Server in Ubuntu Hardy

For some reason, VMware Server is no longer installed in Hardy on the Dell. So, today, expressly for the purpose of running Google Chrome within/under Ubuntu, I tried to install it again.
I used this guide but I still had problems:
1. VMware Server would not launch either from dock, from Applications>System Tools or from a terminal (vmware-server-console). In this latter, just got a command not found error.
The solution was as shown in post #3 of this thread which is to run these two lines in a terminal AFTER install

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libgcc_s.so /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1

and
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0

Note that I had initially installed VMware Server 1.0.6 and then ran these two lines. Then I uninstalled this and installed 1.0.7 in its place. However, this too would not launch UNTIL I had run these same two lines (not at all changed) once again.
2. Permissions problem in running .vmx file Error message said something about insufficient permissions to copy the .vmx to the "inventory".
I then changed the owner of my VM folder (~/virtualmachines) from root to me (same with group) and used the Apply to Enclosed Files button.
However, still got permissions error.
Only when I ran this command
sudo chown -R paul:paul ~/virtualmachines

did the problem go.
3. It is worth noting that without the installation of xinetd, I kept getting a "Can't open inetd" error during the vmware server compile.

No comments:

Post a Comment