Thursday, November 27, 2008

More fruitless attempts to get Haiku to boot from logical partition

This time, though, I decided to install a Senryu raw image on the Dell Desktop. Of course, I had no available primary partitions, so I created a new 750 MB logical.
Here I dd'ed the Senryu image and later did the makebootable as before.
However, to get this done requires an awful lot of preparation. All the first five steps in this post are necessary to get the makebootable command available from Ubuntu.
Interestingly, when I ran the makebootable command, this time it gave an immense amount of output and finally 97 targets were updated (only one target when I did this on the EeePC).
Now, I needed to try to get this thing to boot. So first I tried this in Grub:

title Senryu
rootnoverify (hd0,11)
makeactive
chainloader +1

but this just gave me the expected "Error 12: Invalid device requested"
So, having seen some thread where a guy claimed to be able to boot Windows from any extended/partition by mapping his drives I thought this might work for Senryu.
So, I tried this
title Senryu
map (hd0,1) (hd0,11)
map (hd0,11) (hd0,1)
rootnoverify (hd0,11)
makeactive
chainloader +1

thinking that this would make Grub think that the Senryu was actually on a primary partition.
But, no, just got the same error.
Also, I posted to both LinuxQuestions and the Haiku forums on this but received no useful replies. So, looks like I'm on my own here. Will keep trying for a day or two at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment