Thursday, November 20, 2008

Zenwalk 5.2

Again, today, I ended up having to re-install ZW 5.2 several times (actually a clean install every time) all because I lost Desktop functionality every time I did a "netpkg upgrade" with a snapshot mirror selected.
Seems that these are uncharted waters given that I was using a 2.6.27.4 kernel and apparently xfce doesn't behave too well under these circumstances.
OK, so I re-installed yet again and did all the usual things (install Opera 9.62, install Yakuake 2.8.1, build the nVidia 96.43.09 legacy driver) but this time I did NOT do a "netpkg upgrade" as the ZW wiki recommends.
Then I tried to install Compiz-Fusion using the method recommended to me in this forum thread. In the same thread can be seen the problems I'm having even after trying it without upgrading the kernel.

Just to mention that to install Yakuake 2.8.1 in ZW 5.2 you need the following steps:
1. Install from Netpkg both kdebase and kdelibs
2. Download yakuake-2.8.1-tar.bz2 from here
3. Do the following in a terminal

$ tar -jxvf yakuake-2.8.1.tar.bz2
$ cd yakuake-2.8.1
$ ./configure
$ make
$ su #to change to root; password required
# make install

No comments:

Post a Comment