Sunday, December 21, 2008

DSL on EeePC

DSL (DamnSmallLinux) is now installed and working (although without Internet for the moment) on my EeePC 901.
But, it wasn't easy.
After installing, I tried to boot as usual from the grub menu (Xandros) with the vmlinuz/initrd.gz equivalents placed in special folders in the Xandros /boot. But I kept getting the message, during the boot, that "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry".
Although this problems seems to be common, absolutely no solution is posted anywhere.
I posted to the DSL forums about this but have yet to get a reply.
However, I was able to resolve this by just changing my Grub menu entry from

title DSL 4.4.12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/dsl/linux24 root=/dev/hdd9 vga=normal noacpi noapm nodma
initrd /boot/dsl/minirt24.gz

to
title DSL 3.4
root (hd1,8)
chainloader +1

Yes, I did change the DSL version between these moves but I honestly don't think this was relevant. I'll confirm that tomorrow.
Incidentally, many version of DSL that I tried (4.4.10, all initrd version) gave a non-movable mouse pointer. However, 4.4.12 and 3.4 worked fine.
Now just need to see why I can't get an Internet connection (says can't find any supported network cards -- strange).

No comments:

Post a Comment