Monday, December 08, 2008

Trying to install Syllable on EeePC 901

This thread (and contained links -- and particularly the first post by M Saunders) provided me with a possible route to getting Syllable installed.
Seems the steps are:
1. Make a copy of a EeePC drive. I used

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb7 of=eeepc.img

2. Copy eeepc.img to a machine with a CDROM. I used ssh and got the following output
paul@ubuntueee:~/Desktop$ scp eeepc.img 192.168.1.12:/home/paul/Desktop
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.12 (192.168.1.12)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is e3:a9:4a:56:11:01:e0:33:8c:0c:1d:73:21:86:fc:2d.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.12' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
paul@192.168.1.12's password:
eeepc.img 100% 1169MB 11.0MB/s 01:46

So that went OK and was pretty fast at 11 MB/s or 11,260 KB/s or more than 10 times as fast as the fastest d/l speed I could expect (but rarely get) on my system.
Note that sshd must be running on both computers for this to work.
3. Now, the hard bit to get Qemu to install Syllable to the created virtual drive (eeepc.img).
So, I installed Qemu and burned a CD of Syllable 0.6.5.iso. Then after much playing around I finally got qemu to boot to the install ISO by using this command:
sudo qemu -hda /home/paul/Desktop/eeepc.img -m 128 -cdrom /dev/scd0 -boot d

Now this booted fine and provided two install options. Then I was asked for what partition to install to. However, the 'ls' command did not display any partitions at all.
So, I have the impression that I need to make a virtual disk of the eeepc.img file (which incidentally is what I thought I was doing by including "-hda /home/paul/Desktop/eeepc.img" in the above command.
4. The final step is just to dd the eeepc.img (with syllable installed) back to the EeePC and then (I suppose) dd it onto /dev/sdb7.
Let's see but I have a feeling this is not going to be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment