Sunday, December 07, 2008

Syllable on the EeePC ?

I've played around with Syllable just a little as a VM but honestly never really saw anything that I liked or wanted to know more about. The main reason for this was that as a VM (in VMware Server) Syllable always appeared very sluggish and half-hearted.
However, it is very small (<300 MB) and is reported to be very fast when installed natively. In addition, I saw this post in the EeePC forums which made me interested. This is so as I have a spare small partition with a non-functioning BeOS installed that could easily house Syllable if I knew how to install it.
The standard install method is via CD-ROM which, of course, I don't have on the EeePC (although I could buy one).
So, I tried to use a usb-key to do the same job but I failed so far.
Here's what I did:
1. Downloaded the iso from here
2. Unzipped it
3. Used Unetbootin to create a bootable usb-key

However, when I tried to boot from this, I just got messages telling me the /system/kernel.so was either missing or corrupt.
Then I tried again, but this time after creating the "bootable" usb-key, I installed grub to the MBR of the usb-key and then tried again.
Now when I chose an option (Install Syllable or Install Syllable from USB CD-ROM) it seemed to boot but quickly seemed to get itself into a loop where it was continually checking some disk or other for more than 5 minutes. So, I pulled the plug.

So, very little, if any progress but I am intrigued to see Syllable as a native install alongside Haiku and Senryu and see which is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment