Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wordpress

This is almost certainly my last post of this year and this blog is fast approaching its first birthday. As a diary for my daily computer doodlings, it has proven to be excellent. It has saved me so much time which otherwise would have been lost if i needed to make the same mistakes over and over as it's so hard to remember the details of everything.
However, I have to say that I'm just a little disillusioned about a few things in this activity. My attempts to get Syllable OS installed on my EeePC 901 have completely failed and I have basically given up. Even though some guy has claimed to have achieved this, I just couldn't get any reasonable assistance from the "community" to mimic what had already been done. Strangely, the guy himself claims not to be able to remember how he got this done. So, maybe I'll come back to Syllable in a year or so when maybe this guy has been able to overcome his amnesia.
Two other things that p*ss me off are when you send a detailed request for help with a problem you're having to a relevant forum and, despite a lot of people viewing your post, absolutely nobody answers. OK, I know that there are not a bunch of people just waiting for my posts to be able to drown me in an avalanche of really helpful replies, but when nearly every second post I send these days is unanswered, I become just a little disappointed.
The worst annoyance of all, however, is when you dig into the depths of your experience to dredge up a well-constructed and thorough reply to some newbie who's crying out for assistance. And then, you never hear from this guy again. It can't be that they've all committed suicide.

Anyway, it's time for something new so I'm looking at setting up at least one, if not both, of my blogs in WordPress. Why? Primarily just for the experience of being able to compare blogger with WordPress. In addition, WordPress has a very good reputation of being a much more professional blogging tool, so I want to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm going to set it up, of course, on my EeePC 901 which is my main computer, by a long shot, these days.
I've already set up the apache2 server and tomorrow I'll see how to get started on WordPress (WP).
I've used these guides:
1. Tutorial: Setup a Totally Free, Self-Hosted WordPress.org Blog
2. WordPress -- Ubuntu Documentation
3. ApacheMySQLPHP -- Ubuntu Documentation

I'll just mention that in setting up the apache2 server, the command

sudo tasksel install lamp-server

went for a little while then seemed to get stuck without any explanation. So, I aborted it and tried, instead, this
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server

and this went fine without any problems.
I later installed WordPress using Ubuntu's Synaptic.

No comments:

Post a Comment