Monday, January 26, 2009

Ethernet driver for EeePC 901 (atl1e) in Tiny Core Linux

I compiled this driver today using this guide which worked without a lot of problems.
Of course, as I wanted to compile, I had to install both the compiletc.tce and linux-headers-2.6.26.tce.
However, to get something to compile you need to extract a .rar file and TCLinux doesn't seem to handle this at the moment.
So, instead, I downloaded the driver zip file (from the link in the guide), unzipped it, then open the L1e_Lan folder to reveal the necessary rar file. Extract this and open the resulting l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4 folder when you should see a folder named "src".
At this point, I tarred up the src folder and used cl1p.net to send it over to my TinyCoreLinux install.In TC, I untarred the file in the /home/tc/ folder.
Now, apply the "make" and "make install" commands exactly as shown in the guide.. After this you should have an "atl1e" folder containing "atl1e.ko" in the /lib/modules/2.6.26-tinycore/kernel/drivers/net/ folder.
Next, issue the commands given in the guide:

sudo insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-tinycore/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko

sudo depmod

Now go to Control Panel>>NetworkCards and configure this interface.
At this point "ifconfig" should show the eth0 interface as running.
To get this interface to startup on boot, I created this script which I added to bootlocal.sh
#!/bin/sh
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-tinycore/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko
depmod
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.15 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
echo nameserver 208.67.222.222 > /etc/resolv.conf
echo nameserver 208.67.220.220 >> /etc/resolv.conf
route add default gw 192.168.1.254

No comments:

Post a Comment