Monday, April 27, 2009

Jaunty on EeePC 901

Well, after quite a few unexpected, and still mostly unexplained problems, I have finally managed to get Ubuntu 9.04 working on my netbook.
To get it working I did no more than download the desktop iso from here, create a bootable usb drive using Unetbootin, boot to this and then install Jaunty over my pre-existing older version of Ubuntu.
This went smoothly with no problems once I had copied the vmlinuz and initrd.img versions to /media/sda1/boot/ubuntu and made the appropriate modifications to /media/sda1/boot/grub/menu.lst
The only problem I've noticed so far is that flash doesn't work in YouTube in Opera 10 although it works fine in FireFox. What's more, the Speakeasy speed test works fine in Opera 10 and I know that this uses flash.
Another problem I've noticed, although this won't affect too many people, is that the Dialect Applet I use in AWN does not work as it should in Jaunty. Instead of changing on click from one language to another as happens in Ubuntu 8.04, a click brings up a language menu like it used to do before I suggested this improvement.

Now what's very strange is that when I tried the very same method for installing Jaunty, I kept getting an Error 13 (Invalid or unsupported executable format) when I tried to boot. I also tried to upgrade my Hardy (8.04) through Ibex (8.10) to Jaunty. Ibex seemed to work fine (and even Yakuake worked without problem although I had severe problems previously with Yakuake in Ibex). However, after the many hours required to upgrade Ibex to Jaunty, I once again got the very same Error 13.
Then on investigating I found that the vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic was a 0 Bytes file or, in other words, it was an empty file. How the hell did that happen?
Was this a problem with the server from where I downloaded the ISO and upgraded the Ibex? I really don't know but I can't see any other possible explanation.

Anyway, it's nice that Jaunty is working although, as with most Ubuntu upgrades, I'm always happy once nothing bad has happened and I'm less concerned about any improvements. Of these latter, I really haven't come across any up to now but it's early days yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment