Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tried Opera Unite -- will be great when it works

Opera Unite became available today and, of course, I had to try it (in Ubuntu on all three computers).
First, it's not really a separate app but a part of the latest build of Opera 10 (4440 for Linux).
When the new build is installed and the panel button is pushed, a new option will be available which is Unite.
Actually, I have to say that I found the the new Opera build crashes with an annoying frequency, so you'll have to put up with this for the moment.
Unite provides options to share files, photos and messages as well as a shareable media player and a webs server.
I could share a photo with ease, although perhaps it was just a little slow, aand download it on the remote computer.
However, I had no luck even playing music on the remote despite claims that I can "Access your complete home music library from wherever you are". But this didn't work at all or even give any semblance that it was ever going to work. Nevertheless, the listing of all of my 48 GB of music did become visible on the remote. But couldn't open the folders to see what music was available nor search for a specific title.
Don't know what's the problem here but I'll check the forums tomorrow.
The fridge thing, which is really just instant messaging, works fairly well.
But it is in beta and I'll certainly be looking forward to this functioning more completely as development proceeds.
Not sure what'll be the situation about sharing music files/folders using this app as, AFAIK at present, you should be able to not just play, but actually download music on the remote. Now isn't this just the type of file sharing that's causing so much grief right now?
Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment