Monday, July 27, 2009

Finally took Xandros off my EeePC 901

My EeePC 901 came with Xandros pre-installed. However, I really never used it and it took up an awful lot of room (3.75 GB on smaller SSD + 1 GB /home on larger SSD).
More than this I really don't like these simplified Linux OSes that are apparently designed for Netbook use such as UNR or Moblin. They are just too Windows-like for my liking.
So it's gone.
The first step was to put Ubuntu's Grub in the MBR by the usual means after copying over Xandros's /boot/grub/menu.lst to the Ubuntu / partition and making the appropriate changes.
Then I repartitioned /dev/sda and made a 3 GB and a 0.75 GB partition.
Next I installed OpenSUSE 11.2+KDE4 formtting the two partitions to Ext4
Install went fine and I was easily able to boot this from Ubuntu's grub
Although I've never really used KDE for any length of time I'm aware that it is very well spoken of by the Linux cognoscenti including none other than Linus Torvalds. However, havong seen it again in OpenSUSE 11.2 it really does seem very clunky to me. Maybe I'll get used to it with time.
In summary, taking out Xandros with all of its paraphernalia (system restore partitions) made absolutely no difference to the usability of my EeePC.

No comments:

Post a Comment