Thursday, August 13, 2009

Finally got OpenSUSE Gnome on my EeePC 901

Well, yes, it's installed and sorta works but there's still a serious problem which I'm still unclear how to fix.
I had already installed 11.2 KDE4 through Unetbootin and this seemed to both install, get configured and work without obvious problem. But, you know, no matter how much I try and no matter how much I hear about the more serious Linux-user preferring KDE, I really just can't get used to it.
So, I tried OpenSUSE 11.2 Gnome and again this installed without problem but the install was exceedingly buggy. So, the package manager didn't work, many installed packages didn't work (such as Desktop Effects and CCSM) and even trying to shutdown gave a dialog box with both Restart and Shutdown grayed out. So, I ended up shutting down from the terminal.
However, 11.2 is still in Beta (Milestone 5) so perhaps the bugginess can be explained. So then I tried both 11.1 and 11.0 Gnome and, even though both seemed to form the LiveUSB with Unetbootin, I couldn't get either to boot. The error mentioned something about a reboot error or something like that. Didn't pay much attention to it as I was sorta annoyed (no excuse, I know).
So, I posted to the EeePC forums about my problem and learned that the non-booting problems of the LiveUSB could be easily fixed by deleting config.isoclient from the USB-key and renaming config.gnome.isoclient as config.isoclient.
Nevertheless, even though the install seemed to go perfrectly after this, the subsequent configuration (on first boot) errored out almost immediately.
However, I was still able to boot to OpenSUSE 11.1 Gnome and nearly everything works. A major problem however is the fact that I can't seem to install anything as I explain in this post to the OpenSUSE forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment