Monday, December 07, 2009

ChromeOS-cherry

I'm not sure why it took me all of two days to find this improved version of ChromeOS here. This one fits on a 1GB key
The main difference from the version I'd been using up to now, is that this is so much smaller. Apparently all the free spaces in the image have been removed so that this one fits on a 1GB key.
Not only that but the wireless card of the EeePC 901 (RaLink RT2860sta) is now supported.
Because the zd1211 folder is already included in /lib/firmware, my Belkin Network Adapter works out of the box without having to copy over the firmware from Ubuntu.
So, from having no wireless just two days ago, I now have two supported cards.
Indeed, Hexxeh seems to have included everything from Ubuntu's /lib/firmware folder in the the equivalent folder for ChromiumOS. So, I'll probably remove all the unnecessary stuff to speed up booting a little.
However, browsing on my netbook is intolerably slow again due to only 127.0.0.1 being available as a DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf.
Not only that but even after changing the nameserver entries in this file, /etc/resolv.conf is overwritten by the connection manager and goes back to only the local host as the only nameserver.
To overcome this problem, I had to make the file immutable by

# chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

after adding the OpenDNS servers to this file.
However, when I tried to boot ChromiumOS-cherry from Ubuntu's Grub it failed. So, I looked at in Chrome's /boot directory where extlinux.conf showed this entry
label chromeos-usb
menu label chromeos-usb
kernel vmlinuz
append quiet console=tty2 initrd=initrd.img init=/sbin/init boot=local rootwait root=LABEL=C-ROOT ro noresume noswap i915.modeset=1 loglevel=1

So, based on this I modified the stanza for ChromeOS in Ubuntu's /boot/grub/menu.lst to
title Google ChromeOS 2.6.30-chromeos-intel-menlow
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/chromeos/vmlinuz-2.6.30-chromeos-intel-menlow root=/dev/sdc2 append quiet consol=tty2 initrd=initrd.img init=/sbin/init rw noresume noswap i915.modeset=1 loglevel=1
initrd /boot/chromeos/initrd.img-2.6.30-chromeos-intel-menlow

This worked fine although I'm not sure if I need all of the kernel options that are included.
Note that including rw rather than ro as a boot option means the previous problem I had with the rootfs being mounted ro is overcome. Of course, once everything is as needed, it can go back to being ro.

No comments:

Post a Comment