Sunday, December 20, 2009

Free up space on EeePC 901 SSDs

My EeePC 901 has two SSDs -- one of 4GB and the other with 16B although the actually available space is marginally less than these nominal amounts.
To make matters worse, I have 5 (yes, 5) operating systems installed and all booted by means of Ubuntu's Grub1.The systems I currently have installed are Ubutnu Karmic, Linux Mint Helena, OpenSUSE 11.2, Pardus 8.2 and Haiku Alpha1.
It's not hard to guess that disk space is at a premium so I take a lot of care to keep crap off my SSDs.
The tools I find most useful are:
1.

sudo apt-get clean

This frees around 100MB off my / partition after an update or after when I've installed something from the repos.
In the same sort of category are these two commands:
sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get autoremove

2.Bleachbit
This is sort of like ccleaner on Windows. When I use it I check everything and can often free up to 100MB. It's available from the Karmic repos.
3. Remove outdated kernel images.
It's surprisng how you can forget about these images which take up a lot of disk space (90MB per kernel image). Very worthwhile taking out everything you don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment