Saturday, August 14, 2010

Windows 7 still works great but needs to be activated

In my last post, I mentioned how much fun I'm having with Windows 7. So much so, after years using only *nix, that I'm going to buy a legal version.
However, in the meantime, I have to put up with a pirated version that I got as I already explained.
Unused as I am to all the nonsense that goes with being a Windows user, I overlooked the fact that this version of Windows 7 has to be activated. Luckily this is easy although to find a hack that works you may need to plough through an awful lot of smart-ass websites purporting to be helpful only to, at the very last minute, tell you that you need to register or complete a survey or some other bullshit.
As anybody who has more than a couple of hours of internet experience should know, avoid sites like this like the plague.
Anyway, here's a link to the activation hack that worked perfectly for me on two machines. It's the third (of three) that I found on this site which was almost one year old when I used it.
After downloading, I unzipped the zipfile and opened the resulting WindowsLoader folder. Next I ran the WindowsLoader (as user, not as administrator) but chose UNINSTALL. After the uninstall was complete, I rebooted.
This time, I ran the WindowsLoader .exe file again, but this time I chose INSTALL.
After install was complete and a reboot, Computer>>Properties showed that Windows was Activated.
I'm surprised how easy this was.

No comments:

Post a Comment