Saturday, October 16, 2010

ChromeOS on my HDD

I used earlier versions of ChromeOS by booting from a usb key, as I report here. Frankly, I wasn't particularly impressed as it was little. if anything, more than Chromium Browser.
So, I lost interest.
But now that the final version is reported to be made available next month, I decided to have a look again this time with Hexxeh's Flow.
From the usb key, in a very quick survey, I didn't see too much difference from what I remember from 10-11 months ago.
Perhaps it'd be faster if installed to the HDD. So, using the hints posted here, I tried that and I got it to install and boot without problem.
The guide however erroneously states that the C-ROOT directory is small (250 MB) while the C-STATE is much larger at around 1600 MB. In fact he got them the wrong way around. C-ROOT is the larger of the two directories in the OS. You need to remember this while formulating the ChromeOS stanza for the Grub2 boot menu.
He also states that ChromeOS-FLOW "runs terribly slowly". Well, it doesn't run slowly for me although perhaps I have an explanation for this.
As I had found in earlier versions of ChromeOS, the file /etc/resolv.conf contains just one line (nameserver 127.0.0.1) which means the localhost is the only DNS server. Well, that's sure going to slow things up.
So, I changed mine by:
1. Hitting Ctrl-Alt-F2 which opens a TTy
2. Typing the Username (chronos) and Password (facepunch) after which the TTy should open
3. Typing
sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
4. Removing the nameserver line and replacing it with
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

5. Hittng Ctrl-x to close the file and typing Y to save it as /etc/resolv.conf
6. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to return to the GUI after which you should find page retrieval to be amazingly faster.

I'll try it out for a few days and post again but ChromeOS on the HDD certainly looks almost usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment