Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Disable Unlock Screen feature in Ubuntu

Ever since I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my EeePC 901, every time I left the computer unattended for a short time, I had to "unlock" the screen with my password when I came back.
OK, this could certainly be useful in certain circumstances, but in my situation it was just an unnecessary annoyance.
So, how to get rid of it?
I've seen various options, but by far the simplest I found here (third answer down). The solution just involves:

1) Right click your wireless (Network Manager) icon in the tray and click Edit Connections.

2) Click the Wireless tab, highlight your wireless connection, then click Edit.

3) At the bottom there is a checkbox called "Available to all users". Click it then click Apply to save your change.

It will ask for your password because it is a system-wide change, but that's it! You, or anyone else you make an account for can now log on and get the wireless connection without anyone having access to your (unencrypted) passwords.


Simple and worked perfectly for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment