Friday, October 08, 2010

I've got sound in Haiku on Dell E520

I posted to the Haiku forum some time ago about lack of sound in Haiku R1A2 on my Dell Dimension E520 which has an Intel 82801H (ICH8) sound card.
Seems the native HDA driver which should handle my card has a bug although it does work on some cards (notably the ICH7 on my EeePC 901).
Now I had actually tried OSS as a fallback driver but had no success with this either ............ or did I?
When I checked out the bug ticket for the HDA driver, it seems that OSS can work although not fully with this card.
So, I reinstalled OSS (which just means downloading the .zip from here and expanding it in /tmp).
Still no sound, but when I went to /boot/home/config/bin/ and launched osstest I heard sound on audio engine 0 but not on any of the other 15.
So, how do I configure OSS to exploit the functionality of audio engine 0? Posted to the forum on this (added to previous thread -- no replies yet).
In the meantime as I continued googling around I stumbled upon this thread that suggested disabling the auich audio driver to get OSS to work in Haiku.
So, I went to /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin and changed the name of auich to auich.disabled.
Then I rebooted and my soundless days in Haiku on the E520 were over. Sound worked perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment